Seeking Clergy Assistant
Agudas Achim Congregation of Alexandria, Virginia is an egalitarian congregation of approximately 500 member units, affiliated with United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. Our dedication to the concept of lifelong learning includes both adult education and a strong youth program providing religious services, education, and activities for grades pre-K through high school age and a vibrant preschool. Additionally, the congregation has over 100 years of history in the community.
Reports to: Rabbi, Hazzan, and Executive Director
Duration: full-time (30 hours a week)
Salary Range: $30,000
Benefits: Offers healthcare, paid vacation, sick leave, medical, retirement plans, leave early for Shabbat
Preferred Experience: 2 Years Experience
Preferred Degree: Bachelors
The Clergy Assistant is a vital part of our team who provides comprehensive administrative support to our Rabbi, Hazzan (Cantor), and Executive Director and other staff as needed. The assistant will focus on scheduling, logistics, material preparation, meeting planning, presentations, and writing. He/she will be part of a team of administrative and support staff and must work well with others. Opportunities for growth and expanding responsibilities over time will be available. Excellence in customer service, organization, and attention to detail is required.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Maintains a rapidly changing calendar, ensuring the Rabbi has all relevant materials and information for each meeting, and appropriate time is built into calendar for meeting preparation
- Must be able to anticipate issues and provide reminders
- Interacts on behalf of the Rabbi with organization’s members, board, other staff and outside parties including other community leaders and scheduling meetings
- Acts as a liaison to members and non-members (you are a bridge between administration and congregation)
- Receive/ screen calls/ visitors to Rabbi and Hazzan. Ensure appropriate follow-up
- Extensive phone work - must understand a multi-line phone system, how to transfer calls, access voicemail, and take detailed messages
- Interacts with synagogue staff and committees regarding life cycle events
- Help organize B’nai Mitzvah Program with Education Director and Hazzan
- Maintain and update B’nai Mitzvah Program calendars with Hazzan
- Enter items into the master calendar and Hinenu Tracker program for lifecycle issues of members
- Prepare materials for Rabbi’s classes, services (Shabbat and Holidays), articles, and other correspondence
- Prepare weekly Shabbat and holiday related documents, including announcements and breakdown of aliyot
- Heavy professional correspondence including but not limited to recommendation letters, proof of Judaism (for making Aliyah), thank you notes, donation acknowledgement, and more
- Proofread and edit documents
- High Holiday and events support
- Track clergy discretionary fund activity
- Cemetery record keeping/management
- Publish annual directory, high holiday materials, etc.
• College degree required.
• Must be warm, welcoming, personable, flexible and have a good sense of humor
• Excellent organizational, writing, and phone skills
• A solid understanding of MS office suite, mail merge, Google Docs, Outlook
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, juggle priorities, and coordinate with other staff members
• Maturity and ability to work with confidential information and personally sensitive situations with discretion and tact.
• Understanding of Conservative Judaism/ Hebrew/ Jewish practice and terminology
• Knowledge membership database or related software a plus
• Knowledge of Jewish community, holidays, vocabulary, traditions a plus
• Prior experience supporting senior level leaders