Event Planning Guide
Are you organizing an event for Agudas Achim? The following guide will help you coordinate and publicize the event. Click here for contact information.
Preparing for an Event
- Identify a point person or event chairperson(s) for your event.
- Check for possible major conflicts in the wider Jewish community calendar (Israel Fest, Yom HaShoah, Good Deeds Day) by checking jconnect.org
- The chairman of the event discusses the event with their staff liaison and the Executive Director at the onset of event planning. This should take place as far in advance as possible, but a minimum of 6-8 weeks prior is needed. At this time the following information should be provided in writing:
- Determine your audience
- Prepare a written description of your event
- Date, Time, and Location
- How reservations will be done
- How fees will be collected
- If you would like senior staff to participate in the event, please ask them in advance and confirm their participation.
- Senior Staff Liaisons:
- Mirza Lopez – Sisterhood, Men’s Club, Building, Membership, Kitchen and Catering, Bereavement, Chevre Kadisha, Cemetery, Fundraising, Financial Oversight and Budget, Legal Affairs, Personnel
- Rabbi Steven Rein – Ritual, Communication, Federation Liaison, Life Long Learning
- Hazzan Elisheva Dienstfrey – Ritual, Music/Arts, Caring Committee (Bikkur Cholim), Senior Programs
- Chaya Silver – Social Action (which includes: ALIVE!, Green Committee, Social Action Committee, Good Deeds Day) Young Families, Religious School, Youth Groups, B’nai Mitzvah Administration
- Jen Halpern – Preschool, Young Families
Building Use and Room Reservations
- If your event involves food, please let the Executive Director know in your initial meeting. The Kitchen Supervisor (Diana Weil) should be contacted with your menu and kitchen needs a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the event.
- All food brought into the building must meet the Kashrut standards set forth by the clergy.
Reservations and Fees
Online RSVPs (Eventbrite): If you wish to receive online RSVPs or online payments for your event, contact the office staff about setting up an Eventbrite page. This will provide you with a downloadable, Excel-compatible list of attendees, printed name tags, and other benefits. If you wish to use an alternative fee collection option, please discuss this with the staff liaison.
The event chair or designated publicist submits all PR ‘copy’ to Executive Director and the Staff Liaison 6-8 weeks prior to the event. The scheduling of PR will be determined by the Rabbi and Executive Director. Once approved, ‘copy’ may be arranged for the following uses:
- Monthly Bulletin, Weekly E-Blast*, and Website (Marya Runkle)
- Shabbat Announcements (Doris Parker)
- Eventbrite (Bolade Rasul)
- Poster/Flyer (If you would like a flyer or poster displayed in the Synagogue, please contact the executive director and the staff liaison prior to posting)
*Please note that everything publicized in the Weekly E-Blast must first be approved by the staff before Marya can publish it.
If you wish to have your event publicized by any other synagogue organizations (i.e. Sisterhood, Men’s Club, Preschool, Religious School, Young Families, etc.) please send ‘copy’ directly to those organizations once it has been approved. Each organization will decide whether it is appropriate for their constituents.
If you wish your event to be open to members of the larger Jewish or general community, please include your wishes when speaking with the staff liaison. You may consider sending information about your event to one or more of the following:
- The Washington Jewish Week
Submit with one of the following methods:
Washington Jewish Week, ATTN: Calendar
1500 East Jefferson Street
Rockville, MD 20854
- The Connection Newspapers, which includes the Alexandria Gazette Packet and other local papers
Email: email@example.com (Alexandria Gazette)
1606 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
- The Washington Post
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Washington Post Religion Section)
Email: email@example.com (Washington Post Alexandria Section)